Thursday 12 December 2013

OUR NELSON MANDELA , A FITNESS FAN


OUR NELSON MANDELA, A FITNESS FAN !!
 
 

ooh boy , do I remember this ... its etched on my brain till today !!!

I was still in high school , and this was one of our "VAN DER BIJL SQUARE" Fridays... LOL! Lemme explain , we use to chill at the Vander Bijl  square Bus rank in the  JHB CBD after school , just njeee, this was awesome because all the hot girls and cute boys from different  High schools, who bussed to and from school were there , schools like like Queens High School, John Orrs , St. Benedicts, Banato, Athlone boys, Jeppe boys, Malvern etc "

Our topic on that particular day was "UKUJIMA" and we were debating "at what age do you stop Ukujima" and i kept on saying , you stop only when you die.

Days later, going through a Magazine ... the warmth in my heart when i saw "Nelson Mandela's exercise routine" ... WOW , I shouted, the man was from prison , not a spring chicken , but he was STILL exercising , DAILY, even with his busy "Presidenty"schedule , he always made time for JULUKMENT! lol

“I have always believed exercise is a key not only to physical health but to peace of mind. Many times in the old days I unleashed my anger and frustration on a punchbag rather than taking it out on a comrade or even a policeman. Exercise dissipates tension, and tension is the enemy of serenity. I found that I worked better and thought more clearly when I was in good physical condition, and so training became one of the inflexible disciplines of my life. In prison, having an outlet for my frustrations was absolutely essential.” ~ Nelson Mandela from Long Walk to Freedom, 1994

“Even on the island, I attempted to follow my old boxing routine of doing roadwork and muscle-building from Monday through Thursday and then resting for the next three days. On Monday through Thursday, I would do stationary running in my cell in the morning for up to forty-five minutes. I would also perform one hundred fingertip push-ups, two hundred sit-ups, fifty deep knee-bends, and various other calisthenics.” ~ Nelson Mandela from Long Walk to Freedom, 1994

Some workouts Tata enjoyed included Running , Skipping rope, Swimming and Weight lifting...

MADIBA :
"I enjoyed the discipline and solitariness of long-distance running, which allowed me to escape from the hurly-burly of school life.”

“On Monday through Thursday, I would do stationary running in my cell in the morning for up to forty-five minutes. I would also perform one hundred fingertip push-ups, two hundred sit-ups, fifty deep knee-bends, and various other calisthenics.”

“Exercise was unusual for African men of my age and generation… I know that some of my younger comrades looked at me and said to themselves, ‘if that old man can do it, why can’t I?’ They too began to exercise.”

“I attended the gym for one and a half hours each evening from Monday through Thursday… We did an hour of exercise, some combination of roadwork, skipping rope, calisthenics, or shadow boxing, followed by fifteen minutes of body work, some weight lifting, and then sparring.”

Thank you Tata for inspiring the world on ALL LEVELS ...
... somehow , I feel  YOU would have supported and endorsed  my "JULUKMENT FITNESS DVD" - Dacious

No comments:

Post a Comment

EYE CANDY